Air Purifiers and UV Lights Promote Staying Healthy at Home During COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Having the products and services to provide clean, comfortable conditions is important to us, and to our customers. It’s in all that we do!
Clean, comfortable conditions are especially timely as we are spending more time at home with the rising number of cases of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) across the Greater Toronto Area.
How to Protect Yourself and Others
Firstly, there are a lot of misconceptions about how COVID-19 spreads. We want you to have accurate facts that you can trust, and to do all that we can to provide greater peace of mind. According to the Canadian government (Public Health), there are three ways COVID-19 can be transmitted:
- Through respiratory droplets generated by coughing or sneezing
- Through close, prolonged personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Through touching something with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose or eyes before washing your hands
Can Air Purifiers Stop the Virus from Spreading?
Most commercially available air purifiers rely on high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters. Depending on the type of filter, there are some air filters that have the ability to curtail the spread of COVID-19. Some air purifiers are so effective that they even exceed the hospital intensive care/operating room standards for filtration.
However, in most cases, filters cannot remove COVID-19 from the air because the virus is very small. COVID-19 is approximately .1 microns in size (too small to be caught by most filters).
We recommend purchasing air purifiers for homes and offices because they remove many harmful contaminants (bacteria, mold, viruses and fungi) from the air. It is no surprise that cleaner air can help people stay healthier overall, and this is so important right now.
Air purifiers are very helpful for people with allergies and asthma. With spring (and seasonal allergies) around the corner, an air purifier is an excellent investment!
Breathing Cleaner Air with Ultraviolet (UV) Lights
UV lights are proven to kill mold and certain types of bacteria. They have been used for many years in healthcare settings, as well as businesses and homes, to control contaminants.
UV lights are the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that cannot be seen with the naked eye. The UV-C is the active part of the light, and has been shown to kill 99.9% of mold in an area over a period of two hours (or less). Here are some additional facts about how UV lights:
- Lamps emit C-Band ultra violet (UVC) energy at rate that is proven to be effective in reducing microbes (viruses, bacterias, yeasts, molds)
- Remove or destroy approximately 90% of flu and cold viruses and infectious bacteria (e.g. MRSA)
- UVC energy either destroys an organism or makes it impossible to reproduce
- The germicidal light significantly reduces the growth and proliferation of mold, bacteria and viruses on illuminated surfaces, such as coil and drain pan
- Surfaces must be cleaned prior installing UVC lights
Cozy Comfort Plus carries an extensive selection of UV lights at competitive prices to give our customers access to cleaner air. We appreciate that you are doing all you can to create a clean, safe and healthy environment at home, and we are pleased to provide products and information to support you.
Our team of HVAC experts is always here to answer your questions and share their knowledge to assist you. Providing accurate information has helped us earn credibility and trust for over 100 years! Please call us at 416-780-9760 to ask questions or place an order over the phone to make the air you breathe as clean and contaminant-free as possible.